Licensed Vendor Tool Box
Working with Internal Campus Departments and Groups
- When a customer would like to use a university mark on merchandise, please fill out the Product Request Form with information regarding the requested order and submit to Licensing and Trademarks for approval.
- As a licensed vendor, you are responsible for paying a royalty to the university in exchange for having the right to produce university marks. The only exemption to royalties is for internal, university consumption. However, if the merchandise is for resale, including within a group or department or as a fundraiser, royalties must be paid. When royalties apply, please include them in the cost of the product.
- While developing artwork, please review the university’s:
- Submit final art design through BrandManager360 for approval.
- Licensing and Trademarks will not approve art that doesn’t have a corresponding Product Request Form.
The stacked MU, Tiger Marks and Truman the Tiger mascot mark are approved for use.
- Custom designs may be created as long as an appropriate University Signature, Unit Signature or Merchandise Mark is included in a separate imprint area on the apparel item.
- The logos cannot be altered, tampered with, modified, incorporated into other marks, or overprinted with other words or design elements.
- Use of a current student athlete’s name on commercial merchandise is a violation of NCAA rules and may result in the student athlete being declared ineligible. Any use of a student athlete’s name, nickname, or picture must be approved by the MU Compliance Office.
- Designs cannot use trademarks from other entities or derivatives of those marks.
- No use of the university’s name or logo may be approved in connection with promotion of alcohol, tobacco or other drugs or in connection with pornography or other forms of expression limited by law.
- The design of apparel and certain promotional products must be specific to the School/College/Dept. and/or event in order to limit commercial appeal and minimize the cannibalism of the existing retail market.
Access to University of Missouri Logos and Unit Signatures in Box Folder
Unit Signatures for campus departments, schools and colleges should be used on merchandise and can be downloaded directly from the university’s Box Folder.
Example of Unit Signature
To access campus unit signatures, log into Box and download the signature you need.
If you don’t have access to Box, please sign up for a personal Box account. Then, request access to the university’s Box account by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and sharing the email you used on your personal box account sign up.
Merchandise Mark and Small Imprints
A merchandise mark is an alternate version of a unit signature, for use on internal and promotional goods with restrictive imprint requirements. The proportional relationship between the stacked MU logo and the unit name is adjusted, and the university wordmark is removed.
Unit names may also be simplified as appropriate. These marks are intended for use only when a standard unit signature cannot be reproduced effectively due to size or application restrictions.
To avoid confusion and misuse, merchandise marks are not provided to campus units. Licensees who feel that a merchandise mark is necessary should submit a request, including item imprint specifications, to email@example.com. Licensees may not alter unit signature artwork — only original files provided by the Division of Marketing & Communications are acceptable for use.
Some items have extra-small imprint areas that will not accommodate either a standard unit signature or a merchandise mark (e.g. writing pens, lapel pins, USB drives, etc.). The stacked MU may be used without text on these items, but royalties may apply to internal and promotional goods. Alternatively, the university or unit name may be used without the stacked MU logo.
Helpful Contact Information
University of Missouri Health System Marketing and Branding
Internal Campus Art Sheet (PDF)
Internal Request Quick Reference (PDF)
IMG Licensee Training Presentation (PDF) (royalties, UPIs, sales reporting, etc.)
Licensee Training Presentation (PDF) (design guidelines, artwork submission process, etc.)
Design Guidelines for Merchandise (PDF)
Identity Standards for Student Organizations flyer (PDF)
Health Care Apparel Guidelines (PDF) (updated April 2019)