Apply for a License

Anyone or any business/organization wishing to use the University’s trademarks or verbiage on any product must have a license before offering the product/goods for sale. This also includes sale to University departments, campus organizations and student organizations. Premiums, promotions and advertising are included as well.

The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) is the licensing representative/agent for Mizzou. CLC assists in processing licensing applications for all companies that wish to produce products using Mizzou logos that are sold at retail or for campus departments and student groups. There are three types of licenses that can be attained through CLC; Standard, Restricted or Crafter.


  • For the production of emblematic merchandise to be sold by an individual or company at retail.


  • License is for internal suppliers; products sold to the University for internal consumption only and cannot be resold by restricted licensees
  • Exempt from reporting royalties
  • $250 annual administrative fee
  • Advance fee waived
  • Must complete the Product Request Form for each order

If you are interested in obtaining a Standard or Restricted license agreement, please work with CLC.

1. Submit your application to CLC. The application will be reviewed to ensure that all needed paperwork has been submitted and then forwarded on to Mizzou.

2. Depending upon the time of year that the application has been submitted, it can take up to six to eight weeks for Mizzou to review your application. Though other factors are considered when reviewing new licensing requests, Mizzou reviews all applications based on the following key criteria:

  • Company business plan
  • Sales history
  • Previous licensing experience
  • Product uniqueness
  • Appropriateness of product
  • Product viability/market demand
  • Current retail relationships (for prospective Local and Standard licensees only)

3. CLC will alert you when Mizzou has made its decision regarding your application. Due to the large number of licensing requests Mizzou receives, please do not call Licensing and Brand Management to check on the status of your application.


  • A crafter is defined as an individual producing domestic handcrafted items in the home with collegiate marks, and selling/distributing to individual consumers via events or direct sales. This might include events organized by church, school, county, state, craft, holiday, Junior League, street festivals, gift marts, or flea markets. In addition, not more than (500) units may be sold per year and less than ($2500) total sales per year per University. No sales will be permitted on a wholesale basis or to a third party retailer.If you have questions regarding the crafter’s license, please contact CLC directly at If you are interested in obtaining a crafter’s license, please complete the Application for a Crafter License.
    • $150 annual administrative fee
    • Sample/design required
    • Royalties waived

Limited Use

Limited use license agreements are administered by Licensing and Brand Management and are for use of MU indicia for commercial purposes for a specific project and a limited time. Please contact our office directly at for a limited use agreement.